Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Goodbye little "Sister", I'm glad you were in my life



When my parents announced to me and my sisters in a 1996 family council that we would be getting an addition to the family, I claimed the sole, "no way" vote. My little "sister" was born in June of 1996, just before I turned 16. We named her, Lasting Memories. She took up too much of my time, I wasn't too keen on tending her, and she monopolized my mom all day. I didn't like her.

She started out small and really without much personality at all. A long, empty looking narrow room with a large window to the Mervyn's parking lot and a white bookshelf with a few albums and a small white counter with a computer was all there was too it. I sat there after school many days - bored. I entered inventory into the computer system from the back room, and loathed the hours I spent under dim florescent lights counting and typing in numbers. And then my family and I would come home tired each day and continue to "talk shop" until bedtime.

I remember after a while when we finally got to hire a couple employees. Finally, I could hang out with someone other than my family. Little Sister got a little cooler.



Over the years little sister grew up. I saw many of her milestones - I remember when:


· We got our first customer (we were so excited). Mom even framed the dollar bill!


· We finally got a scanner for the register instead of just typing in the four digit code


· More customers came in and they liked what we had to sell


· I started getting a paycheck


· We got a second computer for the counter


· Lasting Memories girl sat outside the front door and greeted customers


· A customer complained about my customer service which led to me taking a good look at myself and deciding to learn to become more outgoing and excel at customer service (a major influential choice in my life)


· We had our first major event involving bunches of gummy cherries that I ate too many of. (To this day it kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about it)


· We hired even more employees


· We did our first inventory... and the second, and third and fourth...etc. etc. (I really didn't like little Sister on those days)


· We began offering classes


· I went to CHA and other shows


· Began the the keytag program (I still actually have an original keytag)


· We moved into the 21st century and started up the LM website


· Moonlight Madness involved making cute buttons and runs to California Burger for milkshakes


· My best friend from when I was 5 and lived in Seattle came in and we were reunited as I put her name in the computer


· We moved the store to a larger spot


· We knocked out a wall to make an even larger store


· When LM got caller ID and I could no longer call pretending I was someone else and wreak havoc on my poor mom (heheh, that was so funny)


· We hired great crew of many employees and I actually started to like being there




With the years that passed, I came to know many of the regular customers and enjoy my time with my LM friends. 9 years ago I hung up the Lasting Memories apron for the last time, with my marriage and subsequent move to Utah. Yet, the store was still a part of my life because it was a part of my families' life. I experienced the rest of the years through telephone conversations and watching the website from Utah and then from Oklahoma.


When my mom announced to the family that Lasting Memories would be closing its doors permanently, I experienced a mixed reaction. First, I was sad. Then I was happy, a little relieved and excited. Sometimes kids worry about their parents as much as parents worry about their kids. I could feel that mom was ready for a change (actually, needed a change was more like it). It was just time. This is a good thing for mom and dad. And as much as I appreciate the store, I really love them more.


And yet, there is something very sad in it. (Caution: The following is sappy) As I was thinking about what LM means to me, the "Cheers" TV show theme song came unbidden to my mind.



...Sometimes you wanna go


Where everybody knows your name


And they're always glad you came.


You wanna be where you can see


The troubles are all the same


You wanna go where everybody knows your name


You wanna be where people know


People are all the same


You wanna go where everybody knows your name


For many, LM was their Cheers (minus the beverages). Wasn't the past 14 years fun? Didn't we have a blast?


I sure hate change, but isn't that what life is all about? "What!? They stopped making that cute paper with the doodads??? Oh, now hold the phone! What's this!? Ohhh, they made even better paper with better doodads - hop into my basket, we're going home to play!" Lasting Memories always had the latest and greatest. There was always something new and wonderful to OOooo and Ahhh over. That's change - bringing good and bad. But you know what is cool? Sometimes something comes along and then it's gone, but the impact it made on you stays with you. It’s yours to keep no matter what.


Lasting Memories began as a college funding idea for me and my three younger sisters. Looking back, it was so much more than that to me. It was where I made the decision to love people, to see the good in all of them. It was where I made many good friends. It was where I gained valuable business experience and a firsthand look at economics. It began as an idea, struggled into existence, and blossomed into what it has become. This idea in my Mother's head has had a greater impact on my life than funding college - it has had an impact for a lifetime.


Yes, it turned out that the store was the all of the work I had imagined in the beginning and worse, but I hadn't counted on the blessings that would come to me and many others because of it.


So, little "Sister" and everyone who was a part of her existence, thanks for the Memories - they truly were Lasting...


What do you remember about Lasting Memories? Please comment and share your memories!

4 comments:

Tami said...

Oh Jill, your mom and I cried together as we read this post. Your mom felt inspired to start Lasting Memories and we on the BBS (Bennett Broadcasting Service)enjoyed every minute of Lasting Memories. Not only was this a creative outlet for your Mom, who comes from a long line of people who need creative outlets but it gave each of you girls experiences that caused great individual growth.The common memories and purpose will bind you, your sisters and parents together forever. I am so sad and I guess happy. I wish I could go to Lynnwood and be there to experience the end, but I have to stay here and participate in another end. (grandma and grandpa moving to a new home) I guess we can't do it all. Love you!

Katie Neilson said...

This is my first comment on a blog ever!!! I cried too! I have too many hormones going through my pregnant body. I remember going to help jennifer with the store when it first opened, helping with inventory, and going to shows. Jeremy tells the story of me planning to move to Seattle and then choosing him over Lasting Memories. Good memories for all!

Novell said...

Hi, Jill. Your post is so true. Lasting Memories has grown and evolved and I've been there, shopping, since the beginning. I did start out buying scrapbook supplies there but when my kids got older, it became 'the sticker store' to them. If they behaved at Fun Kuts, I brought them down to 'the sticker store' to pick out some stickers as a reward. As they got even older, it was the 'dreaded' scrapbook store where they had to wait and wait and wait for me to finish my shopping and chatting. Employees have come and gone and life goes on. Now this store will have come and gone. I can't imagine what life without this store will be like for me. It's totally my Cheers. It's totally where they know my name. It's totally where everyone's troubles are the same (can you say hoarding??!!). I will miss this place so much. But your parents deserve rest and relaxation so I'm just going to be happy that I had it while it lasted. Ahh....lasting memories of Lasting Memories. Thank you, the entire Barnhart family, for sharing your sister with us.

my scrap chick said...

WOW Jill, you sure can make a girl feel guilty for being so upset!! LOL I feel so selfish for thinking...how in the world could they close the coolest place us crazy scrappers call our second home? But when you put it that way, I can understand that times are changing and we all need to move on. That doesn't mean it won't be hard by any means.

Lasting memories for me was the first place I learned to scrapbook. I remember when it opened and my sister and I would venture into this wonderland of happy people and find the coolest product and have the most fun. We never left without a huge smile on our face knowing that we just loaded our arms full of the latest and greatest products that would make any girl feel like a princess.

Last week I took my husband to the DR and drove by Lasting Memories to shop while hubby was being seen. To my shock I saw wall to wall going out of business signs. My heart droped, are you kidding me...wait is it April first...no...hmmm...my gosh, no way!! I could not believe my eyes. I immediately got on the phone and called all my friends. I was choked up to the point that I almost couldn't get the words out. It was so hard. Later my husband kept asking if I was OK, and I broke down and said no. He thought I had lost it, but those who could relate, knew it was much more than a LSS, it really was 14 years of Lasting Memories to me.

Today I drove down from Mount Vernon for the sale. The store was just as amazing as it always was, and everyone was just as friendly. Your poor father, I think he may have been a little frazzled.....you can't blame him, a ton of women calling his name. He is a brave soul hanging out with us crazy girls all these years....never complaining!!!

Your mom looked amazing, pink is so her color!!! I cam't imagine what she must being going through but I know that whatever God has planned for your parents will be amazing, after all look at Lasting Memories and how many lives your family has touched because of the love and sacrifice you have all given. Although noone wants to see this journey end, we know that it is necessary in order for new lives to be touched and possible changed forever. I know that for me and all my friends, our lives have been forever changed because of Lasting Memories, and it will never be the same. I wish your family the best with their new ventures, and thank you for sharing your wonderful memories with us. God Bless, Kristi